Sunday, May 18, 2008

FAMILY GENERATIONS


Today in sacrament meeting, the speaker was really awesome. He had great things to say about temples and family legacies throughout the generations. The thing that I thought was wonderful is he mentioned something about how we can learn from our ancestors. I just thought of my childhood and how much of an influence my Grandma and Grandpa Turner were to me. Honestly, I don't know where I would be without them. My Grandma always sent me letters and birthday cards and she would always write that I am a daughter of God and He loves me. She wrote I needed to be a good example for my family and I needed to go to church and read my scriptures. I always thought it was preachy, but I found all the letters after both of them had passed away, and I realized that it really affected my life. I knew I was loved, not only by Heavenly Father, but also by them. All of that "preaching" finally sunk in and even though I didn't realize it at the time, it gave me direction in my life. I don't think I would have known as strongly as I do that I am a daughter of God and he loves me if my Grandma didn't tell me that all the time. And how would she have known that I needed to hear that if she didn't learn it from someone else? I will be forever grateful for what my grandparents did for me when I was younger. I wish I would have realized it more fully when they were still alive so I could personally tell them thank you. I'm sure they know. I just wish I could tell them. What a great legacy to live up to. They were the strong happy family that I didn't have growing up. Even though they weren't there every day, I could feel their love for me and my brothers and sisters. I miss them terribly, but I am so thankful for their love and support they gave me while they were here. I can only hope to be the same kind of person they were. But I have their example to learn from.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

I miss them too. At times I wish that I had just one more day with both of them to tell them what I think and how much they meant to me and impacted me.

marathon runner said...

Funny how you cherish things so much more the older you are. I miss them everyday. I met the stake pres from the Bedford ward this week and he talked to me about my grandparents and it made me cry!